What a week this has been. I spent hours and hours last Sunday trying to do searches on the library databases. By the end of the day I was feeling quite discouraged as it seemed to have taken a lot of time to achieve very little. However since then I have had a phone call with a CSU librarian who explained that firewalls on my laptop may be a problem and she suggested using a different computer. She also helped me understand a few ways to search, log in and request information be sent to me. She was really helpful and checked at her end that my requests had worked.
I have also spent a lot more time experimenting with them and, although I am sure I have a great deal to learn about how to use the library search facilities and databases, I am feeling like I have al least qualified for my ‘L’ plates. I have actually found some worthwhile information and organised for it to arrive either electronically or by post. I have also opened a MyResearch folder in ProQuest to help save resources I find. This is the only database folder I have opened so far but that is real progress compared to where I was a week ago. Although life still seems intensely busy, I am feeling far more optimistic about the course. I do like how relevant it is to my work and feel less daunted than I did before. Baby steps…but at least they are in the right direction!